Top Attractions in Varenna
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- This public garden is extraordinary with a stunning setting, architectural moments and a botanical treat with exotic plants along the way.Written 23 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- One of the most beautiful places I have ever been in all my travels. The gardens are immaculate and have stunning panoramic views. You just sit and drink it all in.Written 22 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We enjoyed walking sections of this ancient track, especially by the castle. It is shady, but can be quite steep in places. Well signed and easy to follow.Written 26 July 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A moderate walk with quite a bit of elevation change that never takes you far from Lake Como. Walking boots aren't necessary, but well gripping soles definitely needed.Written 26 September 2022
- Simple yet beautiful church in the city centre. You can rest here for a short reflection or meditation specially in summer months when it is hot outside. It is a worth visit!Written 14 August 2020
- I had such a wonderful experience with this gallery. Our family visited Lake Como and we did not have much time to shop for a painting in person, so when we returned home I began looking for a painting from a local artist that we could enjoy in our home and remind us of one of the most beautiful places we have been to. I was hoping to get something shipped in time for my husband's birthday. I emailed this gallery and Melita, Paolo's wife, responded very promptly with pictures and details of options. Paolo actually had started one I loved that was not finished yet, but they said if that was the one he would finish it so we could have it shipped in time for my husband's birthday. They both worked their magic-Paolo finished the painting and Melita had it shipped and sent daily updates on tracking info to make sure we would get it in time. I feel like they are old friends now! The whole experience made the painting that much more special to us.Written 21 August 2022
- Perfect promenade for walking along the Lake. The view is just amazing. I didn't want to leave that place. Varenna is a gem of Lake Como. Totally recommend.Written 25 December 2021
- This church is the most ancient in Varenna, and one of the oldest in Lake Como area, and it's a true hidden gem.
Originally built before year 1000, it was enlarged in 1151, and restored in its current form in the 1960s.
It is a small church in romanesque style, with a few frescoes (12th century, on side walls; 14th century over the altar). The side walls frescoes were unfortunately not well preserved along the centuries, but what is left is amazing.
The outside of the church is in rough undecorated stone, and the entrance is easily missed.Written 13 May 2022
- We had a great time meeting Normen and picking out a beautiful piece of art to bring home. All other galleries we visited were representatives selling pieces by artists from Milan- they also added an extra 1000 or so euro to their prices. Normen’s painting were my favourite I saw and I much prefer being able to have a chat to the artist himself and watch him work.Written 30 June 2019
- Having been closed for renovation and then pandemic the museum is now open and operates the same hours as the tourist office of which it occupies the upper floors.
Entry is €4.
Whilst the key focus is birdlife of the Lake Como area it also features small mammals.
The museum explains the many varied environments that feature in the region from urban to lake to mountain and everything in between with displays of each in well presented large display cabinets. The size of the collection is impressive and would not be out of place and compares well to those in any major natural history museums.
Whether you want to escape inclement weather for an hour or so or education experience it really is a fascinating museum, quite educational and offers a fascinating insight into the local natural environment.Written 6 September 2022
- Best experience in the Varenna/Bellagio area!
Lake Como is worthy of a day trip from Milan. After a day of touring the three towns mid-lake, you’ve pretty much knocked it out. Nothing left todo the second day if you’re staying overnight.
EXCEPT, this cooking demonstration. Hands down, one of the most enjoyable things we did on our trip to Milan and Varenna.
The restaurant is hard to get to if you don’t have transportation. But don’t fear. Chef Morena or his wife will pick you up at the ferry or parking garage in Varenna. Excellent service! If you’re restaurant is up the side of a mountain, you’d better figure out how to get people up there.
The pick up is 10am. Class starts around 10:30. Cookies and coffee start the day. Chef Morena shows how to make pasta and gives scores of pointers. This day we made tortellini with a ricotta stuffing and veal with vegetables. Delicious and fun. The wine comes out for the meal and doesn’t stop. Remember, you’re not driving. The lemon cello as an arrivederci was outstanding.
The class is only 80% of the experience. Have to give some points for the incredible view of the lake and this incredibly quaint village of just 70 people. Moreno will share the history of his home town where his family has lived for generations.
Big recommendation!Written 14 September 2022
- We had a super 3 hour trip on the lake even if the wind was very strong. Easy check-in, fast and nice customer service. Highly recommend Varenna Rent A Boat! We will definitely come back next year :)Written 20 September 2022
- This was a great way to get from Varenna over to Villa del Balbianello. The tour of the estate was top shelf with the tour guide promising and delivering “surprises” along the way. This made the tour both informative and added some fun. This is a “must do”.Written 24 September 2022
- Great customer service. Super efficient from start to finish. Enjoyed 2 hours on Lake Como but would recommend a minimum of 3 hours. Time disappears so quick when cruising on the water. Highly recommend!Written 26 September 2022
- The best winery in Varenna, good wine, good people, correct prices.
I hope I will have the opportunity to stay in this piace soon!Written 3 September 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Varenna
- The best day trips from Varenna according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Lake Como, Bellagio And Varenna - 1h private boat cruise included
- Bernina Scenic Train & Lake Como
- Lake Como - Varenna and Bellagio Exclusive Full-Day Tour
- Lake Como Day Trip from Milan: Varenna, Bellagio, and Tremezzo - small group
- Bellagio & Varenna - The must-see places in Lake Como