History Museums in Munich
THE 5 BEST Munich History Museums
History Museums in Munich
- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Types of Attractions
7 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- If you're a fan of museums, this often overlooked one should be on your list.
The museum is huge - was here for 3 hours and still had to rush to see everything. The helpful audio guide gives more information about the rooms and individual pieces. The rooms are also set up to represent the eras of the art they house, which is a nice touch. Highlights include the armor and medieval art, the historic costumes, and the nativities (in the basement).
Like most museums in Munich, it's 1 euro on Sundays. But it's worth it at full price too. The museum also has rotating special exhibits, which costs extra.Written 23 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A very interesting collection of artifacts from Greece and Italy. Unfortunately there were no English descriptions, they were all in German. There was a poster at the start of each section with writing in English and German to introduce you to each collection. The front desk person was very nice and helpful. You could rent a headset for four Euros. The museum is close to other museums so if you have time on a Sunday you could see several for 1€. There is a cafe there.Written 12 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you are interested in history and the rise of Hitler then this is a worthwhile visit. The exhibition is not huge, but the English audio guide is most informative and, I thought, comprehensive. The rest of the museum does not have an audio guide or English texts, but is fairly self-explanatory and the 360 degree video enjoyable even for a non-German speaker - especially if you’re old enough to remember most of the events, as I amWritten 11 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- There is little in the way of history about the Jewish community of Munich, past and present. Unlike other Jewish museums this one appears to shy away from telling the story of the holocaust and in particular the people of Munich’s role in that. It is not clear why. but one can only presume this is politically motivated.
The temporary exhibition ‘In the labyrinth of the times’ has few objects, for good reason, not many survived, but it really does not need 2 floors. The story why there is an absence of objects is important and requires more analysis.
That said, it is important that this institution is here at all and it needs to be supported.Written 12 August 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions about Munich