- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
20 places sorted by traveller favourites.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- We were several times here as it was just by our hotel in the Playa Dorada complex.
The mall looks really sad with just a few shops open and very few people.
However, we bought our souvenirs here as well the cigars.
Bargaining is a must for everything, but most important is for cigars. You can make a good business with that reselling them back home.
Here, I'm speaking about the fake Cohiba, Montecristo and others they offer. They will quote a 25 cigar box 150-200 $. Your first offer should be 30-40 $ for that, in order to make a deal at 50 $. Do NOT pay over 50$, they will agree to it when you try to leave the store. I double checked the price here and in town also and bought 5 boxes, each for 50$.
Again, I'm speaking about fake - just check what's the best made box, cigars are OK.
Originals are about the same everywhere, around 10$+ for a piece.Written 12 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Excellent service and good price. Good prices and excellent choices. Keep up with the good work. ThanksWritten 23 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Evelyn Leonor was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to help us find the perfect diamond engagement ring and matching wedding band. I highly recommend her if you find yourself in Puerto Plata.Written 11 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic lesson in rolling and rolling cigars- the best choices and amazing boxes of cigars - I can take 2 boxes back with me and not be taxed - woot woot! Fantastico !Written 6 April 2022
- Very handy downtown location. Ample lunch menu of sandwiches, empanades and pasteries. Ice cream is very good.
Friendly service and we enjoyed the quiet outdoor garden seating.Written 11 November 2020
- This small shop has something for everyone: purses, wallets, belts, travel bags and even koozies for your beer bottle. If you don't see what you like, you can pick out the style and leather you want and they will make it for you.Written 11 May 2016
- Mr Ortiz offered a great history regarding the precious stones found in the region. His staff was more that helpful ,thank you Hugo for helping me find the right gifts as well Mr Ortiz offered to create exactly the style of hoop earrings I wanted imbedded with Larimar stones. They even delivered to my hotel later that same day. Very pleased with my purchase.Written 23 March 2020
- Beautiful designer dresses for unbeatable prices, and the shoes are to die for. Nice location by the beach and the staff is lovelyWritten 1 December 2015
- Very fun interesting place . Hector the salesman is very pushy . I don’t know if the place is authentic or set up to look that way due to it being a stop for people from the cruise ships . I bought 100 sticks for 378 usd . I paid with a Visa card . I do enjoy the sticks so far so good . I wish I would have haggled more .Written 24 June 2022
- Luckily, I found Project Esperanza Art Shop on TA.
No one I asked had ever heard of it but I did leave word at our hotel for them to recommend this little shop to their guests.
I emailed directly to find out the exact location and their hours and I was promptly responded to by Caitlin, who came in to open the shop just for me & my family.
She was warm and welcoming and had her beautiful children in tow, so I tried to shop as quickly as possible - and I am good at that.
We spent under an hour and under $200 US dollars & walked out with original art work, sea glass, tshirts & very special hand-made sock dolls & more.
It is a very tiny shop & well worth a look if you are in town - though we made a special trip just to get there.Written 22 January 2018
- Stopped here as part of a city tour (private by taxi).
The shop is pretty basic, they show you a couple things, you can taste some samples, and then buy in the gift shop. I didn't know about this place before we were taken, maybe the driver gets something for brining us here.
The website actually looks more interesting that the store, as they offer some classes on chocolate that may have been more interesting that just going in to look around.Written 15 March 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Puerto Plata
- These are the best places for kid-friendly shopping in Puerto Plata:See more shopping for children in Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking shopping in Puerto Plata:See more shopping for couples in Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly shopping in Puerto Plata:See more budget-friendly shopping in Puerto Plata on Tripadvisor