Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- For me, Laguna Lachua was an amazing experience and one of my favorite places in Guatemala! With that said, it is certainly not for everyone. You need to travel via a crowded, bumpy collectivo ride to the entrance, then walk about 4km carrying all your stuff (but its an easy path), and if you plan on spending the night you better bring all the food and firewood you need to cook with. The hotel area is rustic and uses latrine style toilets, which I have seen some other reviewers complain about.
However, you should consider that the goal of the area is natural conservation and not tourism, so you are coming here to enjoy the pristine lake and jungle around it, not a 5 star hotel experience. Laguna Lachua itself is gorgeous, the water is crystal clear and the perfect temperature for swimming. The view around it is beautiful and so peaceful, nothing but nature in all directions. We stayed 2 nights, and there were local families visiting during the daytime, but the park closes to day visitors at 4pm, so after that you have the area all to yourself.
As far the hotel facilities, the rooms are basic but very comfortable and there was more than I was expecting for a remote location in Guatemala, including solar powered lighting at night. The kitchen is surprisingly well equipped and includes free drinking water, so you just need to bring your food and some firewood to contribute, but usually the staff keeps the fire going so you don't need any special skills. The price is great at Q50 per person for nationals and Q70 for foreigners. Just keep in mind its in the middle of the jungle, so there's definitely going to be bugs and dirt and nothing will ever be spotlessly clean. There is no wifi and basically no phone signal, nor 'activities' other than the lake and whatever you bring. There's a little tienda and comedor by the main road where you can pick up basic supplies before you get going.
Overall, if you're into the outdoors and relaxing off the grid, aren't too fancy and can find your way around public transport in Guatemala, Laguna Lachua is an amazingly beautiful place to visit and get off the beaten path!Written 25 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This gem is a must do in Guatemala, this place is a poem of time. You can see thousands and thousands years of history in one place, take in consideration 10cms of a estalagmite takes around 1,000 years, and there are structures of maybe 11 to 12 mts tall. So everthing is simply amazing! You’ll be blown away!Written 29 December 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Awesome and incredible experience. The rappelling is a must, to go into the cave itself you will need to be on the more fit side, as it is not easy and you have to use your body to get through very small spaces. Absolutely worth everything.Written 16 February 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Went to Lagunas Sepals on my own and was greeted by a guide, Don Chico. He guided me around and told me a lot about the forest and the surroundings. He also explained how the Lagunas differ during the year, being quite dry this time of the year but during rainfall later in the year the all fill up. Well worth visiting.Written 11 September 2015
Frequently Asked Questions about Chisec
- The best outdoor activities in Chisec according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Chisec on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Chisec according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Do Rappel In The Caves Of Bombil Pek + Lunch - Tour From Coban
- Visit The Crystal Clear Lachuá Lagoon, All-Included Tour From Coban
- Candelaria Caves: The Way to the Mayan Infraworld - Full Day Tour From Coban