Located within Ireland’s Ancient East with many layers of life and history in the big house, Belvedere House Gardens & Park demonstrates beauty, intrigue and passion that make for an enchanting Visitor Experience and an excellent day out with a difference. The magnificent 160 acre Lakeside Estate of Belvedere House, Gardens & Park boasts a fully restored Georgian Villa, built in 1740 by the famous Architect Richard Castles. The estate has a fascinating Victorian Walled Garden, with one of Ireland's finest collections of rare and special plants. The naturalistic designed 18th century parkland, punctuated with Romantic Follies includes the largest in Ireland; “The Jealous Wall”. Within the welcoming Visitor Services Centre is a Licensed Restaurant and Gift Shop and there are also 3 outdoor children’s play areas, a zip line & many picnic areas on the estate.
Duration: 2-3 hours
Suggest edits to improve what we show.Improve this listing
Tours & experiences
Explore different ways to experience this place.
Top ways to experience Belvedere House Gardens & Park and nearby attractions
Reach out directly
We rank these restaurants and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location.
2 within 5 kms
9 within 10 kms
See what travellers are saying
- Land of LightWent on a foggy evening with 10 and 12 year old. The fog actually added to the magical feel. The trail is beautiful and the staff are really friendly. We strolled around and soaked it in. If you've been to Wild Lights this is a much smaller scale but I found it better than Wonder Lights. We were only there for about an hour so it is dear enough for that length of time. The music at the rubix's cubes was definitely inappropriate but my kids didn't notice. Overall we all enjoyed it and I would go backVisited December 2022Travelled with familyWritten 23 December 2022
- GatekeepersUnpleasant experience at Belvedere House yesterday. The staff in the cafe were unwelcoming and more focused on trying to close early than on serving us. The staff in reception were about as helpful and friendly as rottweilers in a bad temper. Why close early on a Bank Holiday? The staff here are gatekeepers.Visited January 2023Travelled with friendsWritten 2 January 2023
- A great place to while away a few hours.Spent a blustery afternoon in February at Belvedere House. A very pleasant garden and woodland walk despite the weather. A nice lady at the reception explained the audio system and, after a tasty lunch in the cafe , I spent a few hours wandering around the house and gardens listening to a very entertaining history of the place and its previous owners. The gardens , I expect, will be beautiful in summer when the flowers and trees are in bloom. There are children’s play and picnic areas so would be a great afternoon entertainment for families. On the downside I would have liked to have seen upstairs in the house but I’m probably being nosy.Visited February 2023Travelled soloWritten 2 February 2023
- Nice place to visit with kidsPaid €26 for a family ticket, which wasn't too bad for price wise. Went with 4 young kids and they were fully engaged the entire time. Weather wasn't that great (but when is the weather great in Ireland 🤔 😒 🙄 ) Great grounds , the kids had fun and loved it, expecially the fairy garden. Fairy garden is a most for both kids and adults 😁. Would defo recommend but be ready to walk and bring comfortable shoes.Visited March 2023Travelled with familyWritten 26 March 2023
- Fantastic day outSuch a fantastic place. We visit Belvedere house regularly. It has a very reasonable entry fee. It's a great place to bring kids too as they have two playgrounds and a beautiful fairy garden. The grounds are very well maintained also. We are going to buy a yearly pass as its such a good day out.Visited March 2023Travelled with familyWritten 3 April 2023
- Easter fun in the rainThe characters were in good spirits in spite of the wet weather they were having to be out in all day. The visiting pet farm was a lovely touch. Little bit of a queue for the Easter Bunny, again you'd have to expect that, but the area they were in was beautifully put together and the big bad wolf was keeping spirits up, entertaining the queue. The easter bunny gift was very generous .The addition of a henna artist in the cafe was a hit with our family too. The cafe was very busy as you would expect ,but the staff were very helpful and took care of everyone. Thank you for a lovely event. The questions for the hunt were well laid out and interesting but nobody took the finished answers, just a little thing the kids were wondering if they were right.Visited April 2023Travelled with familyWritten 11 April 2023
- Quick VisitThe day was cool, and we did not have time to walk around the gardens. The house is in such a beautiful setting by the lake. I would worry about the state of the windows at the front of the house, They look like they need urgent remedial work. The rooms that are open to the public are a bit dusty. I like the sound effects in the kitchen.Visited April 2023Written 6 May 2023
- BrilliantAbsolutely amazing place, so magical. Great that it's dog friendly, and they have chill out zones for the dogs if you want to use them. The children had a brilliant time, especially in the fairy garden. Staff were so friendly, helpful and welcoming..will definitely try to visit again!Visited September 2023Travelled with familyWritten 17 September 2023
- Excellent relaxing experienceFabulous walk around the grounds. Lovely views of the Lough and the halloween decorations were super. Wished I had room for the apple pie in the cafe - will ensure no hotel breakfast before next visit! There was a party of children having fun in the woods - great location where they could run around. Looking forward to our next visit.Visited October 2023Travelled as a coupleWritten 22 October 2023
- Fairy garden, hello and good bye Joe Dolan.We have visited Belverdere House and Gardens in the past, just the gardens this time because of work being done on the house. As always we loved our visit fairy garden was beautiful. Cafe served delicious confectionary . On the same day we also went to Joe Dolan's grave and visited his statue. Our group were delighted with their day out.Visited September 2023Travelled with friendsWritten 14 November 2023
These reviews are the subjective opinion of Tripadvisor members and not of TripAdvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Dec 2023 • Family
I've never been to such a rip off of an experience. The money charged for this is 100% not worth the trip and I would not recommend anyone to go! This is the most expensive light show of the ones available in leinster yet it is the smallest, shortest and least exciting one. 99% of the lights were spotlights and a couple of animals placed here and there. We had our walk done in 15 minutes and that was at a leisurely stroll. The tokens given to the kids for a free carnival ride were useless as there were 2 shambles of rides available for kids up to the age of 5 max. The filth and dirt of the rest of the 'carnival' amusements were absolutely disgusting and we left to Try rescue the rest of the kids night in the main town of Mullingar. The travel included to even get there was a waste of time.
Very very disappointed
Very very disappointed
Written 9 December 2023
Nov 2023 • Couples
Visited Belvedere House for the "land of light "show. Thankfully it reminded dry and we were well wrapped up against the cold. A pleasant walk through the woods and grounds seeing all the light displays and music in the background. I feel very child oriented but a nice stroll . Had a lovely hot chocolate and a cappuccino on completion. Well worth checking out
Written 19 November 2023
Sep 2023 • Friends
We have visited Belverdere House and Gardens in the past, just the gardens this time because of work being done on the house. As always we loved our visit fairy garden was beautiful. Cafe served delicious confectionary . On the same day we also went to Joe Dolan's grave and visited his statue. Our group were delighted with their day out.
Written 15 November 2023
Oct 2023 • Friends
Great day out in Belvedere! Gorgeous gardens. Halloween decorations are a lovely touch, and the groundsman putting them up was nice to look at too 😉 Wouldn't mind taking a walk into the woods with him 😅
Written 26 October 2023
Oct 2023 • Couples
Fabulous walk around the grounds. Lovely views of the Lough and the halloween decorations were super. Wished I had room for the apple pie in the cafe - will ensure no hotel breakfast before next visit! There was a party of children having fun in the woods - great location where they could run around. Looking forward to our next visit.
Written 22 October 2023
Oct 2023 • Family
We spent a lovely few hours here. The gardens were especially worth visiting. The walks are amazing and to end the visit do have lunch in the cafe. The food is extremely good.
Written 18 October 2023
Oct 2023 • Business
Extremely disappointed with this place. Brought a bus load of elderly and disabled people and it was not right to have them walking a distance to the main and dangerous also because there is a slope from the drop off to the main door. I will think twice before I will consider bringing people of this situation again.
Written 11 October 2023
Sep 2023 • Family
Absolutely amazing place, so magical. Great that it's dog friendly, and they have chill out zones for the dogs if you want to use them. The children had a brilliant time, especially in the fairy garden. Staff were so friendly, helpful and welcoming..will definitely try to visit again!
Written 17 September 2023
Sep 2023 • Friends
I loved my visit to Belvedere House! The grounds and the lake are gorgeous, and the gardens are stunning.
Written 7 September 2023
Sep 2023 • Family
Amazing place for family weekend. Lovely lake and beautiful garden. Very quiet and peaceful park with kids playing yards and picnic tables
Written 3 September 2023
Showing results 1-10 of 622
Do you supply Wheelchairs or Disability scooters for Disabled please?
Unfortunately I do not know the answer. I do know that they are wheelchair friendly but not sure if they supply them. If you call them, as Cathal says on +353 44 934 9060 I am sure they would advise.
BELVEDERE HOUSE GARDENS & PARK: All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos)
Frequently Asked Questions about Belvedere House Gardens & Park