Sudhalle

Sudhalle, Aquileia: Address, Phone Number, Sudhalle Reviews: 4.5/5

Message from Tripadvisor
Temporarily closed until further notice
Temporarily closedClosed until further notice
The area
Address
Best nearby
We rank these restaurants and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location.
Restaurants
40 within 5 kms
Attractions
85 within 10 kms

4.5
50 reviews
Excellent
21
Very good
22
Average
6
Poor
1
Terrible
0

Andy S
57 contributions
Worth seeing
Apr 2019 • Couples
Worth getting an inclusive ticket so you can see this as well as the basilica, crypt and campanile. Anywhere else this would be really interesting, but surrounded by so many marvels it doesn't stand out!
Written 14 April 2019
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Professor04
Welland606 contributions
Nice Extension Of The Main Church
Aug 2017 • Couples
The baptistery seems more like a museum than part of a house of worship, but there are some interesting mosaics to view. In terms of scale, the church offers a more comprehensive view in a broader scope. That is to be expected as the main church is for regular worship while this area was only for those unable to enter the church until they had received the sacrament.
Written 10 January 2018
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

gpcd
Greenbelt, MD287 contributions
more mosaics, in case you had not had enough
Aug 2015 • Family
This is about all that is left of the southern protochristian church, the one presumed to be reserved for the not-yet-baptized faithfuls.
The proper name should be ‘aula Cromaziana’ from bishop Cromazio who erected the structure many centuries ago, but the first archeologist to work here were germans and named it from its position respect to the basilica, and the name seems to have stuck, at least in TripAdvisor’s lexicon.
The mosaics and sarcophagi housed in this modern structure are actually best admired after dark and from the large glass windows which cover about 70% of the length of the mosaics. the other 30% is taken by a platform which you access from the baptistry (after buying a ticket). little is provided in terms of explanations, although after seeing all the other mosaics in the area one should not need further hand-holding to figure out what and why is represented here. On the wall farther from the glass window is a beautiful (and incomplete) mosaic of a peacock and seeing it from close range is well worth the admission price.
My rating is weighted by the fact that there is so many other beautiful mosaics around Aquileia to see.
Written 25 November 2015
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

christel
Seaford, UK598 contributions
More stunning remains
Oct 2015 • Couples
It seems incredible that this has survived and hard to think that it was being used to baptise early Christians. Take time to stop and think whilst you admire the mosaics
Written 12 November 2015
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Anything missing or inaccurate?
Suggest edits to improve what we show.
Improve this listing
Frequently Asked Questions about Sudhalle