View all photos (13)
Select Date and Travellers
Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Explore the Ancient Capital Hoa Lu, ruled by the Dinh and Le dynasties in the 10th and 11th centuries. While it remained the active capital and fortress, during a time of much civil unrest and many conflicts with the China’s south Han dynasty, it was never breached by any enemy army. After lunch, set up-high with a birds eye view of the winding and twisting Tam Coc river, you’ll get into a small 2-3 passenger boat with a local navigator. Your boatman/woman will paddle your boat up and back down the riverway that snakes along, in between the sheer limestone karsts jutting straight out of the rice field flatlands. Paddling you along with both their legs and farms you’ll pass through 3 low-ceiling caves, with wonderful stalactites looming just overhead. If you visit during the spring and summer months you will witness the lush and vibrantly green thatched rice paddies on either side of the riverbanks.
You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Ninh BinhStop: 9 hours -8.00-8.30 am: Tour guide will pick you up from your hotel in Old Quarter to depart to Ninh Binh city 10.30-11.00 am: You will reach Hoa Lu Ancient Capital. In 968, Dinh Bo Linh declared himself as the King. Since then Hoa Lu existed as the capital for the next 41 years (968 – 1009), of which 12 years were under the Dinh dynasty – King Dinh Tien Hoang, named the country Dai Co Viet, and 29 years later was under the Le dynasty – King Le Dai Hanh. In 1010, King Ly Thai To moved the capital from Hoa Lu to Thang Long – present day Hanoi. Hoa Lu became the old citadel. In Hoa Lu there are now 2 temples that have been built on the ground of the old royal palace. One is dedicated to King Dinh Tien Hoang, the other is to King Le Dai Hanh. The visit offers a chance to learn more about the feudal dynasties and historical periods in Vietnamese history. 12:00 pm: Today you will enjoy a buffet lunch at a local restaurant in Tam Coc, named Duc Tuan restaurant. The food is served in an Asian style of local dishes with organic vegetables. The Duc Tuan has a birdseye view over the Tam Coc river, so you can marvel at the amazing aerial views, while you enjoy lunch. 1:30 pm: After finishing your lunch, you will be taking a row boat from Tam Coc Harbour. Arranged by the local people, the boat is rowed by both hand and legs. The boat will take you thru 3 specular caves with hundreds of limestone karsts along the way. If you travel during harvest season, you will see many terraced rice fields in golden bloom. The row boat will navigate along up the river for approximately 2 hours. Not only you can see the peaceful scenery of mountain, rice paddy fields, and temples, you also have chances to learn about local peoples cultures, and their daily life. Optional activities: Enjoy a bicycle ride through the countryside after the boat trip. 4:00 pm: Leave Tam Coc and drive back to Hanoi. Arrive Hanoi in around 6:30pm. Finish the unforgettable full day trip at your hotel in Hanoi!Read more
- Meals as mentioned in the itineraries: Vietnamese/Asian food
- Transfers within the tour by air-conditioned vehicle, including pick-up and drop-off at hotel
- Boat trip on the Ngo Dong River, rowed by local people
- Bicycle rental and tour
- English Speaking Tour guide
- All entrance and sightseeing fees
- A bottle of water for each person, on the bus
- Beverages and other meals not indicated in the program.
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- Tipping/ Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travellers have to say about this operator.
By: Viland Travel
Excellent cooking class!
Our family booked a cooking class on the internet and they picked Us up at the hotel. Our guide-chef was Sunny and …
Nice trip within friendly guides and lovely stops and lunch. Snorkelling, kayaking and sunbathing in some laid back…
The best tour of Vietnam!
I contacted Viland Travel exclusively to organize a tour after reading such good things online about the company. I…
I can't even put into words the amazing experience I had traveling with Viland Travel through my 8 days in Vietnam …
Amazing custom tour!
Evelyn at Viland designed a custom tour for us that covered all of Vietnam from North Vietnam (Sapa) to South Vietn…
8 nights in vietnam
First .. i know evelyn from the viland website .. Then she customized me our wonderfull trip in vietnam .. The hote…
BEST SERVICE POSSIBLE
We found Viland travel when we where planning our family trip to Vietnam, normaly I do not use a travel agent becau…
Very good tour company, they organised everything very well and had a wide range of organised tours, great accommod…
Halong bay tour
Pham was our tour guide and host and he is the most friendly and genuine man we’ve came across in Vietnam, full of …
Hoi An - Danang
We were overwhelmed by the quality of service from Viland and the tour guide, Tai. They all speak fluent English, …
Great organization and wonderful itinerary!
I usually plan my own travel, but since I was traveling alone and had limited time to research, I opted to use a tr…
Cambodia - hanoi- halong bay
I would give a rating of 3 on 5 for viland.. the itinerary was good but customer service could have been better. Ne…
Clock-work like fun trip
We booked a 10 day Vietnam and Cambodia trip with Sarah and had an excellent experience. Sarah helped us customize …
Sarah and Viland, your best choice to visit Vietnam
There are so many wonderful places to see and things to do in Vietnam. Viland Travel is clearly the best choice, as…
Very reliable and supportive travel agent
Went to Hanoi and surroundings, Evelyn from Viland made all the perfect arrangement, making the trip such a wonderf…
- Duration: 9h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+44 12 2492 8241
Frequently bought together
from $43.00* $53.75