This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Alkmaar Tours, 1811 JP Alkmaar The Netherlands
Visit Alkmaar's traditional Cheese Market - the oldest in the Netherlands! In this 2.5 hour small group walking tour, you will learn all about Alkmaar's most well known attraction: the Cheese Market! You will also wander through Alkmaar's medieval centre and along pretty cobbled streets and picturesque canals.
What to Expect on a Tour:
• Visit the Alkmaar Cheese Market and watch the traditional way of trading cheese as it was centuries ago. You will watch the cheese being sold and then carried by the Cheese Carriers in a centuries old tradition. We will spend approximately 1.5 hours at the Cheese Market which is ample time to see everything.
• Learn all about the history of the Cheese Market, the Weigh House and get a full description of what is happening in front of you!
• Have the opportunity to try a variety of Dutch cheese and even buy some to take home (extra)
• Walk through the cobbled streets of Alkmaar and along its picturesque canals
• See some of Alkmaar's most famous buildings such as the Grote Sint Laurenskerk (Great St Lawrence Church), the Stadhuis (City Hall) and the Waag (the Weigh House)
• Get an insight into Dutch culture and way of life through the eyes of a foreigner (Canadian) living in Alkmaar
• Learn about the history of Alkmaar and why 'Victory Begins at Alkmaar!'
Small group tours mean you get a more personalised experience - no following umbrellas or having to listen to your guide via a headset!
• Friday Cheese Market and City Tours will depart from outside the Alkmaar Train Station at 9am (to the left of the stairs)
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Pass By: Grote Sint Laurenskerk, Koorstraat 2, 1811 GP Alkmaar The Netherlands
We pass the Grote Sint Laurenskerk on our way to the Cheese Market. Learn about the history of the church and its significance.
Pass By: Alkmaar City Hall, Langestraat 97, 1811 JD Alkmaar The Netherlands
We pass by the beautiful City Hall on our way to the Cheese Market.
Stop At: Cheese Market, Waagplein, Alkmaar The Netherlands
Get a uique insight into the Cheese Market and the Cheese Carriers Guild as we watch the wheels of cheese being traded, carried and weighed as it was centuries ago!
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes