Slate Rock Trail Running Tour
By White Dot Adventures
Pisgah National Forest is the oldest of its kind in the eastern US. With over 500,000 acres and 1,600 miles of trail, some of the best overlooks and waterfalls are often overlooked. We will meet at Ecusta Brewing, then you will follow me to the trailhead, a ~30 minute scenic drive including a bit of dirt road. 2-wheel drive vehicles will have no problem, the road is well-maintained. Starting at the trailhead, we will run a ~7 mile loop with 1,400' of vertical. The run climbs its way up to one of the best overlooks in the forest, and may include a visit to a trailside waterfall depending on road/trail closures. Towering over the Pink Beds Valley, the overlook includes views of nearby Pilot Rock and the distant high peaks of the Great Balsam Range. I would argue that the views are far better than John Rock, Cedar Rock, or even Looking Glass Rock. Its limited popularity is due mostly to its remoteness and difficulty to navigate due to several unmarked trails along the way.
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Duration: 3–4 hours
Start time: Check availability
What's not included
- Handheld Water Bottle
- Running Gear
- Departure details
- Ingles Markets, 3338 Boylston Hwy, Mills River, NC 28759, USA If you're staying closer to Asheville, we'll meet at the Ingles Market in Mills River. From there, you will follow us for a ~30 minute drive to the trailhead in your own vehicle.
- Ecusta Brewing Company, 49 Pisgah Hwy #3, Pisgah Forest, NC 28768, USA If you're saying closer to Brevard, we'll meet you at Ecusta Brewing at the entrance to the National Forest. From there, you will follow us for a 30-40 minute drive to the trailhead.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 192239P1
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- How much is Slate Rock Trail Running Tour?
- Slate Rock Trail Running Tour price starts from €121.73. Discover and book Slate Rock Trail Running Tour on Tripadvisor
- What is the Slate Rock Trail Running Tour cancellation policy?
- Slate Rock Trail Running Tour cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Slate Rock Trail Running Tour on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Slate Rock Trail Running Tour?
- Slate Rock Trail Running Tour is hosted by White Dot Adventures. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact White Dot Adventures on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Slate Rock Trail Running Tour on Tripadvisor
- How much time do I need for Slate Rock Trail Running Tour?
- On average, this experience will take approximately 3h. Discover and book Slate Rock Trail Running Tour on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 192239P1
- You’ll have 2 starting optionsSee departure details
- 1Pisgah National ForestStop: 3 hoursOur trail running tour explores the Pilot Cove/Slate Rock area and includes several smaller waterfalls, beautiful flora, and one of the top slickrock vistas in the entire forest. From the overlook, we can see nearby Pilot Rock, Pink Beds Valley, and the Great Balsam Mountains in the distance.Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
Wonderful day hiking
It was a beautiful day, a beautiful hike. Brendon was a great guide and very knowledgeable about the area, the tree…
North Carolina waterfall tour
Went out with Brandon on a waterfall tour of North Carolina. His knowledge of the area was top notch I loved that…
Best field trip ever!
Brendon's knowledge of the area, horticulture and passion for nature were contagious. He gaged our abilities and gu…
Unique tour with beautiful overlook
This trip was a lot of fun... Brendon is a very personable guide. He knows his way around like no one else.
Top notch guide
Brendan has in depth knowledge of the area and knows how to string together trails to make for a great day out in t…
Triple Rock Challenge
White Dot Adventures is a great company that takes pride in what they do. Brendon is very knowledgable about the ar…
Best adventure trip in WNC! Beautiful trails and scenery, the bar was raised here! Highly recommend!
Great run & experience!!
My wife & I scheduled a custom 2 person trail run. Brendan tailored the pace & distance to our skill level and mad…
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
We perform checks on reviews
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Nov 2019 • Solo
Had a fantastic 7 mile trail run with Brandon. His knowledge of the trail was superb and key to the experience as many unmarked paths intersected our run and I would have been lost without him. View from Pilot Rock was wonderful on a crisp Fall morning. Having a guide to highlight the peaks and ridges we saw elevated the experience for sure. Our conversational pace made the time fly by leaving me wanting more trails at the end to explore. I would highly recommend this business to any visitor but especially to locals who want to immerse themselves in the beautiful mountains we call home.
Written 5 November 2019
Thanks for the review Tom! We have a great time showing you around an unexplored corner of the forest, and we look forward to more in the future!
Written 6 November 2019
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.