First of all, Mallorca is an exceptional island! The landscapes are breath taking, beaches are gorgeous - white sand, turquoise waters: a real small European paradise. There are some places you must not miss like the city of Alcudia, the Sa Calobra beach and the Formentor lighthouse. The inhabitants are lovely, very warm and welcoming, the food on the island is basically fish-based and sea food and of course, paella.
The only downside are the German tourists. I have never seen in my entire life this level of animal wildness in human beings! Don't get me wrong, I have a big respect towards Germany, their typical discipline and the value of their work but I just cannot understand why are they behaving like stone age creatures out of their country... actually, not necessarily out of their country, but in Mallorca, because I have met German tourists in other places and they were nothing like that.
So let me tell you some of the astonishing facts that happened in Playa Golf:
- yelling 24/7 and singing about Shalke or Bayern or whatever other football team - these things were already presented before
- jumping in the pool and splashing everybody around it, right beside the "no jumping" sign
- playing volleyball in the pool and hitting everyone around them with the ball until you are forced to leave them alone in the pool
- urinating on the hallway - this is something I can't believe I had to see from a 30 year old guy, especially in a 4 star hotel - and saying "Gutten Tag" to you afterwards
- coming to breakfast in underwear only, at 8 o'clock in the morning with a beer in the hand, sunglasses on and... a batman clove (??!??!!). funny thing is that in the evening you are not allowed to enter the restaurant unless you are wearing shoes. Now how funny is that?
The hotel staff is indeed very friendly with them, probably because 90% out of the tourists from Mallorca are German so... Another thing that really bothered me is the fact that everything is written in German there instead of Spanish, so you really feel like you are somewhere in Germany rather than in Spain.
The rooms are horrible. We had a sea view room (245) and the view was great so we spent most of our time on the balcony. The furniture is really old, the TV is from the early 90s, the smell in the room was a mix of alcohol, cigarette smoke and some other scents that I don't want to even know about, but it was indeed very clean. The bathroom was ok, simple but spotless so I have nothing to complain about with respects to cleanness.
The receptionists are very helpful, they helped us to rent a car but when we called to ask for someone to come and fix the air conditioning no one came. Luckily the weather helped us not to be forced to open the window because giving the noise from outside, I don't know if we could sleep at all.
We had a half-board basis and it was a great choice: we had a wide range of food, different every day and very well cooked and tasty! You can eat anything from paella, pasta, grilled fish and meat, duck with oranges, salmon in green pepper sauce and many, many types of other great dishes. The dinner is available until 9.30 pm so it is really worth paying the HB supplement.
If you walk around Playa de Palma you will conclude that Hotel Playa Golf is the top 5 hotels, because it really looks nice from the outside, so my guess is that the hotels on the island have a lower standard than Tenerife, for example. All in all, it is a good choice if you want a great location and delicious food, lovely pools and average rooms.
If I were to return to Mallorca, I would definitely go to Illetas because it is much more quiet and civilized so it better fits my preferences and needs.
Bottom line: if you are German or want to party like an animal, it is the perfect choice! This is why this hotel has such a good rating, actually. If you are a romantic person, or a more quiet one, or are in vacation with your family, you should consider to pick other resort than Playa de Palma (like Illetas or Santa Ponsa).
All in all, I have big respect towards the hotel staff because they are able to manage the hotel and keep it decent with all these weird tourists and serve them with a big and sincere smile upon their faces. :-)
- Also Known As:
- Playa Golf Hotel Playa De Palma
- Playa Golf Hotel
- Playa Hotel De Palma
- Playa Golf Majorca/Playa De Palma
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Playa Golf, in Playa de Palma, Mallorca, offers its clients all of the services necessary to make their stay as pleasant as possible.It has three swimming pools, one of which is heated, an aquatic toboggan, solarium terrace, fitness machines, Spa & Wellness, tennis courts, beach tennis, mini-golf surrounded by a pretty garden, cyclist centre, events and meetings centre, a Buffet restaurant where you can enjoy the best gastronomy of the island, and three cafeterias with different atmospheres.And above all, good service and familiar and cordial treatment are our priority. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Playa Golf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.