Location, location, location...Lafayette is located on the beach at the end of Mile Road in Wells Beach, Maine. It is made up of several buildings, some of which are on the beach while others are across the street or nearby. Be sure to check the website to see the property maps before booking. Some of the rooms have been upgraded and are nicely appointed, while others still have old Maine knotty pine charm. During the summer, the rates are quite expensive, so make sure you spend wisely by booking at the Panorama, Original, Deluxe, or Annex (adults only) oceanfront rooms. While the Wells Beach Motor Lodge also has oceanfront rooms, the beach in front is inaccessible at high tide. Guests are allowed to cross over to the Deluxe building and travel through to their beach exit to access the sand at high tide.
There is an indoor pool of medium size and a good size hot tub/spa in the pool area. The pool has views of the street and parking lot through 3 windowed walls. Only guests of the resort are allowed to use the facilities. They are always clean and well maintained, but can get crowed and a bit noisy with boisterous children enjoying themselves. Floats and balls are not allowed in the pool, and children under 4 are not allowed in the spa. With no staff on duty, the rules sometimes get stretched.
On season, Forbes restaurant is right next door, but off season you'll need your car to find whatever is open in the small town of Wells or nearby Ogunquit, York, or Kennebunk. Even on season, Forbes offers just casual dining and take out with a limited menu. Billy's Chowder House is open year round and located about a half mile away on Mile Road. On season there are many great restaurants nearby that offer a great variety of dining selections. My favorite is The Steakhouse on Route One, but they don't take reservations, so arrive slightly before opening or understand you'll find yourself having to wait for a table.
I love staying at the Lafayette, but have switched to cheaper accommodations in the summer. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the location can't be beat. In the winter, if you plan to make use of the pool and spa, look for a room in the Ledgewood building so you won't have to cross the street with wet clothes after a swim or heavy coats in tow. You can get oceanview rooms with an unobstructed ocean views across the town parking lot out front.
- Also Known As:
- Lafayette`s Oceanfront Hotel
- Lafayette`s Oceanfront Hotel Wells
- Lafayettes Oceanfront Hotel
- Lafayettes Oceanfront Wells
- Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort Wells, Maine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort is directly on Wells Beach, one of the largest sandy beaches in Maine. We have a complex of nine different buildings, five of which sit right on the beach. Many of our rooms have private balconies with panoramic views of the ocean. We are open year round so you do not need to miss any season. Although summer is certainly the most popular season in Maine, the beauty of this coastal area is enchanting throughout the year. Wells Beach is fun for families. Walk from your room onto the sand to swim, build sand castles, stroll in the surf looking for shells and rocks or just relax and enjoy the feel of the sun on your face while you enjoy the view. The indoor pool and the hot tub with a waterfall are very relaxing after a hot day in the sun. The playground and the arcade will entertain the children after the beach. ... more less