I agree a hundred percent with most of the reviews I read just now about the hotel staff attitude. A male staff on duty when we checked in was not friendly at all..in fact bordering on arrogant. The other female staff was at first friendly but when questioned about why we still could not check in at 4 pm (one hour after check-in time), she showed signs of arrogance too. I needed a lot of patience to keep my cool. I booked and fully paid our hotel room about 2 weeks before arrival date, but when we got there, they could not even give us a room number, much less inform us what time we could check in. Their check out time is 12 noon. That's more than enough time to clean the rooms for the next occupant. But we had to wait another 4 hours for us to check in.
It is also true that the room is basically bare of essential food like - coffee, tea, drinks or snacks which you usually find in hotels upon check in. Drinking water? Bring your own.
Hotel lay-out? The Podium Block is an extension of the main hotel - acceptable. But they locked the main lobby entrance on the ground floor and so guests have to make a roundabout thru the elevators which can at first be confusing - go up the 4th from the main lobby, cross the bridge, take another elevator to the 2nd, then walk farther down the corridor - too bad if your room is at the very end.
Housekeeping staff in the corridors are sometimes very noisy with their conversations and laughter. They can be heard from inside our room.
SUGGESTION: Most of the hotel staff should be given rigid training on good manners, and a proper and pleasant attitude in difficult circumstances. One hardly sees them smile - a very important factor in making guests feel welcome and more at home. They should remember that their salaries come from the hotel guests and not from their managers.
BUT, in fairness, the following make up for the negative points:
1) the lobby is presentable and spacious enough (although with not enough seats).
2) there is a coffee shop right in the lobby for the really hungry.
3) a desk manned by very amiable tourist consultants is positioned in the lobby.
4) since it is a relatively new hotel, bathrooms are very clean with daily cleaning schedules and change of towels everyday with no need to request.
5) the male staff in red T-shirts assigned at the lobby to assist guests were quite friendly and helpful. But they don't bring your luggage for you up to your room...unless perhaps if you are carrying loads and loads of luggage.
6) hotel location in Little India is quite convenient and accessible for most tourists who love to walk around
For tourists like us who are out of their rooms the whole day, there is no reason for us to pay 5-star rates. 3-star hotels should be good enough for sleeping and resting purposes during the night, so these hotels should try their best to make the guests most comfortable and pleased with the attitudes and services of the staff.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Grand Chancellor Singapore
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Agoda, AsiaRooms, Otel and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Hotel Grand Chancellor Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.