Let's begin with the positives...
Free parking in a very well-lit parking lot with CCTV
Quiet location away from traffic - still convenient to the Motorway.
Front desk staff pays close attention to who is coming and going so it feels safe and secure.
Very professional front desk staff - friendly and courteous
The breakfast is very decent
Areas for improvement...
*The walls are paper thin and you can hear every word in the room next door (if you're unfortunate enough to be next to people drinking beer and arguing until 4:00AM, not good)
*Free wifi is really a hallmark of Holiday Inn Express in the U.S. and I realize it is not something you find as frequently in Europe and the UK but charging almost a third of the room rate for internet access seems excessive (but I suppose it goes with the geography)
*The towels are disintegrating - that just really reflects poorly. I have a bath towel at home that has been in constant use for many years and it doesn't look anything like the sad Holiday Inn Express towels in Manchester. The towels in that room were in *bad* shape.
*The sink in our room backed up and was quite nasty - these are little things but come on, you're part of InterContinental Hotels Group here.
*The base around the shower was pretty nasty (maintenance issue - not housekeeping)
*A bar of soap would be nice - I think even the most economical budget brands in the U.S. provide a bar of soap (and I do not think of Holiday Inn Express as the most economical, I think of Holiday Inn Express as midscale limited service)
The Front Desk picked up on my American accent and decided to put the charge through in U.S. dollars. Please ask me first. I immediately noticed the rate was significantly higher in dollars and asked to have it in Pounds as my bank does *not* charge me any exchange fees. They cheerfully voided the U.S. dollar transaction and there wasn't an issue but it just left a sour taste in my mouth (especially considering the spread was about 4% in their favor).
All in all, if I had to be in that immediate area again and the rate were the same, I wouldn't have any major hesitations about staying there again - it wasn't bad, just very basic. I don't lose sleep over tired towels or poor drainage in the sink - I just think it reflects poorly on the Holiday Inn Express brand which I think is top notch state-side.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Manchester East Hotel Manchester
- Holiday Inn Express Manchester East Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Manchester
- Holiday Inn Manchester
- Manchester Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Express By Holiday Inn Manchester is just 1 mile from the M60 motorway, Junction 24, and M67, Junction 1. Rates include complimentary continental breakfast and free car parking and coach access .We are just 2 miles from City of Manchester Stadium, Sport City and Manchester Velodrome home of British Cycling, and a short taxi journey to Old Trafford Stadium, home of Manchester United Football Club.All rooms offer wifi access, telephone and tea/coffee making facilities, with all bedroom windows opening for guest use. The Express by Holiday Inn hotel in Manchester offers Sky & Setanta Sports TV, vending and high speed internet kiosks are also available. Manchester International Airport is 15 minutes away, whilst an hour's drive by motorway from the hotel will take you to the English Lake District and to the seaside coastal resorts of Blackpool, and the city of Liverpool. Within Manchester city centre are major and small art galleries and museums, including the Tate North, the new Lowry at Salford Quays, the City Art Gallery, the Manchester Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry , as examples. Whether you decide to do shopping in the Trafford Centre or attend a concert at the MEN Arena, you are always welcome at the Express by Holiday Inn Manchester Hotel, Gorton, Manchester. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Manchester East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.