I checked in here for 3 weeks recently whilst in Dublin on business. I travel 3 - 4 times a year for work and this was my first time to stay here.
Some of the positives:
- I was allocated a deluxe suite on check-in by a very friendly chap. Similarly, my early morning checkout was well & pleasantly handled.
- The room was very spacious and very well maintained for the duration.
- The bed was very comfortable, linen always fresh.
- Good value given the proximity to various landmarks and the relative peace & quiet for a city-central location
- The (only) meal I had was provided complementary in lieu of an episode one morning where there was no hot water and I had to shower in a hurry across the road in the Alexander (though I did have to ask and was told a decision would be made by 'a manager' later - which happily it was)
Some of the negatives:
- In 21 days, I was only greeted by staff as I came and went from the hotel no more than three or four times, one of the female staff even blanked me as I got out of the lift one morning! I found that extraordinary but when approached (e.g. at the desk) they were very friendly and eager to assist (customer service however does not begin and end at the desk, in my opinion)
- On a Tuesday night there was ONE staff member on the floor in the restaurant area for bar service, food orders, food delivery, teas, coffees etc. The poor guy did the best he could but naturally - it was less than fair on everyone.
- I could hear my neighbours moving around through the walls and in their bathroom through mine. This only happened in the last week so I am unsure if the adjoining room was empty or not for the remainder of the time.
- The fire alarms in my room and throughout the hotel went off around 2am on a Saturday morning - coinciding with what appeared to be a large group of formally dressed young revelers leaving a function. No member of staff contacted me or offered an apology for it. I guessed it might be something to do with the group at that hour when I saw them, but I became a little annoyed afterwards thinking what should have happened especially had this been an emergency situation.
- I enquired at the desk about accommodation rates for two colleagues coming from the US for a fortnight. I was directed to contact the sales team on the main number - but in spite of my three-week stint and the potential additional business, was not offered anything beyond the standard rate (they came as scheduled but stayed elsewhere)
- One of the cleaning staff walked into the room whilst I was still asleep - woke me up but apologised in fairness as she left hurriedly.
- The Gingerman Pub was quiet thankfully during most of the week but noisy a couple of times mainly on the w/ends. Unfortunately my room was adjacent with the window located almost directly opposite. Worth bearing in mind if you are a light sleeper.
- The toiletries provided I didn't use for the most part, but certainly under-par for 4-star accommodation.
- Wi-Fi was not included and had to be arranged additionally- which needs to be reviewed particularly given the business clientele that appear to frequent the place. I ended up using facilities at work instead.
- There could at the very least have been a bottle of water provided (again - something expected for a hotel at this rating)
In summation - it was 'fine'. My lasting impression is that the hotel functions in spite of the guests but not because of them. It wouldn't take much to make it better and I don't know if you would get any better elsewhere at that price. A simple call to the room over the duration of the stay to check on how things were going would have gone a long way. But if you expect a 4-star experience, it's not going to happen here. I would happily stay again for a night or two but probably no more than that.
- Also Known As:
- Davenport Hotel Dublin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a quiet corner in the heart of Dublin City, only moments away from the buzz of city life, the O’Callaghan Davenport Hotel Dublin is where history and modernity unite. A fusion of old and new is a distinctive feature of this traditional, elegant Dublin City centre hotel. Imaginatively decorated in warm, vibrant colours, the 4-star Davenport Hotel Dublin has been designed with style and comfort in mind. Upon arrival at the Davenport Luxury hotel Dublin City you will be greeted by the hotel’s striking facade, distinguishing it from any other. It is all that remains of the landmark building, Merrion Hall Just off Merrion Square Dublin City, designed by Alfred G Jones in 1863, after a fire engulfed the building in 1990. The interior refurbishment and exterior restoration has been sensitive to the historic nature of the building. There are a host of facilities available for the business or leisure guest at the O’Callaghan Davenport Luxury Hotel Dublin. Rich dark woods engulf President’s Bar, creating an inviting, clubhouse ambience, where residents and locals stop to unwind and enjoy a drink, coffee, or light lunch. Lanyon’s Restaurant is famed for its relaxed atmosphere and tasty European fare. If fitness is your relaxant, there is a 24-hour gymnasium for exclusive use of hotel residents at Dublins Davenport Hotel. The discerning business guest is certain to feel at home in O’Callaghan Davenport Luxury Hotel. There is a wide range of facilities at your disposal in the business centre, open 24-hours, while wireless broadband is available in the lobby. As flexibility and choice is a core value of O’Callaghan Hotels, guests can use the facilities and services of any Dublin City O’Callaghan Hotel and have the account conveniently billed back to your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Amex, Travelocity, Priceline, Otel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Venere, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your O'Callaghan Davenport Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.