Many reviews have been written here about trips to FDR with small children and about the nannies at the resort. Here is a review with a different perspective because the seven children that we traveled with were older.
We spent a week at FDR from March 23 to March 31, 2012. Our traveling group consisted of eleven adults (parents and grandparents and one uncle) and seven children ranging in age from eleven to sixteen. Everyone had a wonderful time.
This was my first vacation at FDR. The resort is small with a small beach front. We had a two bedroom suite. The suite had a kitchen w/refrigerate, a dining room with six chairs and table and a living room along with the two bedrooms. There was a balcony off the living room. The suite had a generous amount of room for four adults and two children. Our suite looked recently decorated and the furnishings were in great shape. Some of the other suites looked a little more worn than ours.
On the property at FDR the beach is very small but, never seemed to be extremely crowded. If you walk a very short distance to the end of the FDR property, you walk onto a fantastic, long and wide beach. If you like long beach walks, that is easy to do while staying at FDR.
Right off shore at FDR is some fun snorkeling. Twice each day a boat takes you out to a reef a few minutes away. All you have to do is show up at the dock at the appointed time and get on the boat. This was a plus for us on this vacation. Twice each day this boat went out as a glass bottom boat. That was another fun inclusion to our vacation.
There seemed to be something going on for the guests of FDR to get involved in all day long. There was no pressure to participate but, the fun was there for you if you wanted to join in. The many daily events were for both adults and children. Most games had prizes for children and for adults.
Along with the games on the resort some days there were off resort trips for the teens to take with the animation team. Each day the resort had a bike ride that went into the surrounding areas of Jamaica near FDR.
FDR has a teen center with a coordinator. I was very impressed with the teen center. There were pool tables as well as other table games and computers. All of this was in a very large open air area with a gorgeous Caribbean view. Each night the coordinator had a special reserved table for the teens that wanted to eat dinner together.
Here is the one and only problem that this resort seems to have. I felt that the quality of the food was not the best. I was amazed at the poor quality of SOME of the food items considering that FDR is not an inexpensive place. The menus which changed each night were still redundant. Chicken with a sauce is chicken with a sauce no matter how much you change the sauce. Roasted pork is roasted pork no matter what you name it.............and on and on and on.
The bar was well staffed so, you never waited for a drink. The alcohol was a nice variety and consisted of Appleton, Grey Goose, Bombay Safire, Tanquerey, Jack Daniels as well as many other liquors. The one problem here at the bar was that when the bar ran out of a certain kind of alcohol, it sometimes took a few days to get the alcohol stocked again.
The area where the bar was located had a wonderful view of the ocean as well as sunsets over the ocean. It was open air but shaded from the sun at all times of the day.
I have nothing but praise for the staff at FDR. Everyone that I encountered at this small resort was friendly, well trained and seemed happy. They were all great at what they did.
To me there are three kinds of vacations. When you get home from the first kind of vacation, even though you enjoyed yourself, you are looking for where you will vacation next. The second is a vacation where you say that "someday" you may return to that resort. The kind of vacation that I had at FDR made me feel as though I can't wait to get back to FDR.
- Also Known As:
- Franklyn d Hotel Runaway Bay
- Franklyn d Resort And Spa
- Franklyn d Hotel
- Franklyn d Resort
- Franklyn d Resort All Inclusive
- Franklyn D Resort & Spa Jamaica/Runaway Bay, Caribbean
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boutique all-inclusive family Resort where each family is assigned a dedicated Vacation Nanny to care for the kids from check-in to check-out. One upfront price includes accommodations are in large 1, 2 or 3 bedroom suites with iPOD Docking Stations and DVD Players, Continental, Italian and Jamaican cuisine from a choice of 4 restaurants, top shelf bar, kayaking, snorkelling, tennis, 3 pools, 100' waterslide, separate kids, pre-teens and teens programs with supervised daily activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Franklyn D Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.