Twelve hundred feet above the Pacific Ocean the Sweeney Ridge trail traverses the most northerly part of the Santa Cruz coastal range ... more »above the town of Pacifica.
Up here you can explore the abandoned buildings of the 1950's Nike missile base or step further back in time and visit the spot where Gaspar de Portola first discovered the San Francisco bay for the European explorers in 1769. Or you can skip the history lesson and just enjoy the superb scenery!
There are several different routes to Sweeney Ridge, and we’ve included them all on the map for you to choose from. Suggested routes are shown below, and delve into the map detail to explore more about these for yourself.
• Sneath Lane Trailhead to Nike Missile Base (Easy: 4 miles out & back, 600ft elevation gain)
• Skyline College to Nike Missile Base (Easy: 3 miles out & back, 600ft elevation gain)
• Mori Ridge to Portola Discovery Site (Moderate: 4 miles out & back, 1000ft elevation gain)
• Mori Ridge & Baquiano Loop (Moderate: 7 mile loop trail, 1,400ft elevation gain)
• This is a great hike for all seasons, but check out the weather before setting off because cloud and coastal fog can obscure the great views - though even hiking through fog up here can still be quite appealing.
• Dogs are allowed in the park only on a leash.
• Mori Ridge ends near the coastal bluffs of Mori Point and a great ocean-side walk to Pacifica Pier. There is an underpass just north of the residential neighborhood which will carry you safely under the busy Route 1. Mori Point is covered by a separate Trailspotting Guide. less «